Places to Visit in South Goa
List of Best Hangout Places in South Goa
Among the beautiful beaches of south Goa, Colva is the most popular beach lined
beautifully with palm and coconut trees. The beach is located at a distance of six
km from Margao and is a stretch of around two and half km along the vast Goan coastline.
It is lined with palm and coconut groves from Bogmalo in the north to Cabo de Rama
in the south. The beach is having all the facilities of affordable accommodations
and entertainment for spending a sumptuous vacation.
This Beach is located within the perimeter of 2.5 km of the market town called Chaudi
and is accessible from Margao taking just forty minutes to reach this beach in South
Goa. Palolem is neighboured by Agonda and Cola Beach. This beach of South Goa is
identical in the sense it is one of the unspoiled beaches offering privacy and best
opportunity for swimming in the shallow to deep waters. It is considered as one
of the safest beach for swimming.
This beach is popular as one of the clean and quiet beach located to the South of
Majorda and north of Colva beach. The beachfront is sufficed with a few popular
beach resorts, restaurants and the ultimate beach shacks providing exclusive taste
of Goan seafood. There are many places of religious importance like temples and
churches to visit near this beach. Utorda beach can be easily accessed from Dabolim
airport, Colva and other important places.
Cabo De Rama Fort
This is one of the oldest forts in Goa built during pre Portuguese era and supposed
to be one of the prime attractions of Goa. The name of this fort shows roots in
the mythological legends, which indicate that Lord Rama along with his wife Sita
stayed here during their fourteen years period of exile. Inside the fort there is
a Church of Santo Antonio which is still in use and visited by devotees to offer
Prayers. The atmosphere of this place is alluring tourist throughout the year. Fascinating
views of the surrounding region can be enjoyed from the top of the fort.
It is the oldest popular fort of historical fort in Goa standing firmly on the banks
of Chapora River, witnessing rise and fall of many great empires. The strategic
location of this fort made it vulnerable to many attacks by local as well as foreign
powers. The steep slopes of the fort make it difficult to climb it from the sides.
Presently it is the prime attraction of the tourists visiting Goa offering panoramic
views of the region surrounding Chapora river upto Pernem.
This ancient fort in Goa was built in 1613 as a guard against the Dutch and Maratha
invasions. The Portuguese fort stands on beach to the south of Candolim on shores
of Mandovi River. It received its name Aguada meaning water, because the fresh water
spring inside the fort used to supply water to the ships stopping near the fort.
A multi storey Portuguese lighthouse installed in 1864 is the major attraction for
the tourists visiting this fort.
Reis Magos Fort
This fort was specially built in 1551 to protect the region from intruding sea faring
vessels into river Mandovi, at the spot where it becomes narrow and permits entry
of vessels into this region. Realizing importance of this strategic location this
fort was built in such a way that it overlooks the Reis Magos church and accomplishes
many walls. The ruins of the fort were renovated and converted into a prison. This
place offers incredible views of the riverbed and surrounding area.